Fordingbridge are proud to be sponsoring the 2019 Building Better Healthcare Awards and in particular, the Best Dementia Care Development category.
With the UK’s aging population, we recognise the need for greater care in later life. Current estimated numbers of those living with dementia are approximately 850,000 and it is predicted this will increase by a further 18% by 2020 and reach 2 million by 2050. Dementia care involves creating a safe and peaceful environment, with reduced chance of risk and opportunity for reflective spaces. Along with careful internal design, incorporating shelter into external landscaping also plays an important part.
This award will be presented to an exemplary new-build or refurbishment project for a dementia care facility designed to support the day-to-day living of people with Alzheimer’s Disease and other forms of dementia. This can include hospital-based ward refurbishments, both private and public; the creation of dementia-friendly public facilities; or dedicated dementia homes within community settings. The judges reserve the right to award two separate trophies for new-build and refurbishment projects and for small and large-scale projects.
- Show a level of understanding of the specific needs of the patients, staff and visitors who will be using the building
- Show that, through design, a therapeutic environment has been created for all users, both inside and outside the building, which enhances treatment or work pathways
- Show involvement of patients, staff and other key stakeholders throughout the design and delivery process
- Include a floorplan showing the adjacencies within the building
- Show how the design could set a precedent for future developments
- Show consideration of sustainability and carbon reduction
- Provide clear evidence of post-occupancy evaluation and positive impact
Fordingbridge have a wide range of experience working in live healthcare environments, through both principal contractors and directly for NHS Trusts. A selection of our work within the NHS can be found here.
The Building Better Healthcare Awards will be held at The Brewery, London on Wednesday 30th October.